In Episode 1, we talk about Tony Stark and his quest for a heart—just in time for Valentine's Day! What is an arc reactor, and how does it work? But more importantly, what would the surgery for implanting a car cup holder into Tony's chest look like? Really, Mr. Stark had bigger things to worry about than a little palladium poisoning.
Also, we're taking a poll: have you heard of a VAD? Tweet us @DocsWatchPod and let us know!
Resources, Citations, and Mentions:
- How Iron Man's Arc Reactor (Probably) Works by Ryan Carlyle (Gizmodo), Nov 2014
- A good overview of heavy metal poisoning from NORD
- Deepa recommends the play Arsenic and Old Lace
- Gillian Genser, "My Beautiful Death" in Toronto Life, Nov 2018 — An artist who got heavy metal poisoning due to the mussel shells she used in her sculpture. Find her work here.
- Castoreum from Gastro Obscura — An aside about beavers and vanilla
- Deepa: 3 out of 5 Tony Stark brass rats connected to nothing
- Jen: 3 out of 5 car batteries