Welcome to Season 2 of Docs Watch! We're back from break with a brand new slate of episodes for you. A slight change this season: we're going to switch to an every-other-week release schedule and see how that goes. But otherwise, it's more of your favorite medically-related movie ramblings!
We're kicking off Season 2 just in time for American Independence Day. So what better way to celebrate than with a discussion of the 1996 classic movie Independence Day? This movie holds up remarkably well, but we do have some questions (natch). Why are the aliens' alien suits so poorly designed? Why don't any of the scientists have better sterile technique? And what IS Jeff Goldblum's day job anyway? The truth is out there.
Resources, Citations, and Mentions:
- YouTube video: Movie buff channel - Independence Day aliens/"the freak show"
- YouTube video: Ella Van Saar - Alien autopsy from Independence Day
- Independence Day Wiki - Harvesters
- If you want a more detailed rundown of sterile technique, check this out: StatPearls - Sterile Technique by Karie Tennant and Cynthia L. Rivers
- Deepa: 7 out of 10 aliens in parachutes dragged by Will Smith
- Jen: 4.5 out of 5 tiny aliens inside bigger aliens