In this episode, we're taking a trip to Westeros to examine the cutting edge medical practices of Samwell Tarly. It turns out he has shockingly sharp scalpels and shockingly bad PPE practices. We'll discuss greyscale and greyscale-esque infections, why you shouldn't operate during a candle shortage, and rock people (again). Also, we'll give you yet another reason why colonialism is bad. As if you needed any more.
Resources, Citations, and Mentions:
- Game of Throne Wiki - Greyscale, accessed September 2020
- Game of Scenes - Sam cures Jorah Mormont - Game of Thrones S07E02 (Feb 2019, accessed September 2020, YouTube link)
- FilmComicsExplained - Greyscale Virus (Game of Thrones Explored) (Dec 2017, accessed September 2020, YouTube link)
- Monigues Holloways - Tyrion and Jorah fight the Stone Men, 5x5 Game of Thrones Season 5 (HD) (Aug 2015, accessed September 2020, YouTube link)
- NIH US National Library of Medicine Genetics Home Reference - Leprosy, accessed September 2020
- National Organization for Rare Disorders - Leprosy, accessed September 2020
- CDC - Hansen's Disease (Leprosy), last reviewed Feb 2017, accessed September 2020
- Wikipedia - History of leprosy, accessed September 2020
- Monot M, Honoré N, Garnier T, et al. On the origin of leprosy. Science. 2005;308(5724):1040-1042.
- Bennett, Brian H et al. “Leprosy: steps along the journey of eradication.” Public health reports (Washington, D.C. : 1974) vol. 123,2 (2008): 198-205.
- Deepa: 6 out of 10 pasty greyscale ointment packets
- Jen: 4.5 out of 9 banded armadillos for Sam's lack of precautions, 9 out of 9 banded armadillos for Sam's precipitating the discovery of sterile technique