In episode 4, we ask the important questions about the Aquaman cinematic universe (and also spend a not insignificant amount of time thirsting after Jason Momoa).
(I mean, look at him.)
Anyway. What is up with the physiological class stratification of Atlanteans? Is blonde hair a curse? Why is Pinocchio so important to this movie? AND WHY WON'T ANYONE TALK ABOUT THE DINOSAURS??? We answer none of these questions and answer a bunch of other ones in this ep!
Resources, Citations, and Mentions:
- How Fish Gills Work, Today I Found Out, Sep 2011
- The Multifunctional Fish Gill: Dominant Site of Gas Exchange, Osmoregulation, Acid-Base Regulation, and Excretion of Nitrogenous Waste - David H. Evans, Peter M. Piermarini, and Keith P. Choe; Physiological Reviews, Vol 85, Issue 1, Jan 2005
- Pulmonary ventilation–perfusion mismatch: a novel hypothesis for how diving vertebrates may avoid the bends - Daniel Garcia Párraga, Michael Moore and Andreas Fahlman; Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Volume 285, Issue 1877, April 2018
- Do Whales Suffer From Decompression Sickness? by Sara Mynott, Nature: Saltwater Science, May 2013
- The breathing response of whales and other marine mammals is also triggered by carbon dioxide, but not until much higher levels than in people. — How do Whales and Dolphins Sleep Without Drowning? in Scientific American, Feb 1998
- Karathen is, in fact, Julie Andrews!
- The Depths Below - Ring of Fire, NOAA
- Undersea Volcano Eruptions Caught On Video, Discovery YouTube channel
- Some sources say to NOT vent fish. Some sources say to do it. So... we don't know.
- Venting: A Guide to Releasing Reef Fish with Ruptured Swimbladders, Florida Sea Grant
- Rockfish Barotrauma Information, California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Deepa: 7 out of 10 invisible chest gills
- Jen: 3 out of 5 crab people for narrative coherence, 5 out of 5 Khal Drogos for Jason Momoa
- Overall DC cinematic universe scale 15 out of 10 (only outpaced by Wonder Woman which is at 2000 out of 10)