In episode 7 of this season, we talk about Mad Max's terrible IV line management and the overuse of dino rex machina. Bedside organization is important even when you're working on a high speed scrap heap in the middle of a desert while being chased by War Boys. Plus, we finally take our highly anticipated trip to Jurassic World and discuss whether you can give good guy T-rex blood to a velociraptor. The main question is this: how many iterations of Jurassic Park do we need to build before someone tightens up these lax security protocols?
Resources, Citations, and Mentions:
- Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution by Holly Tucker
- AABB - Highlights of Transfusion Medicine History
- The title that both Jen and Deepa butcher is this: Exercitatio Anatomica de Motu Cordis et Sanguinis in Animalibus (Anatomical Account of the Motion of the Heart and Blood), which was William Harvey's description of the circulatory system in 1628
- H. A. Oberman, Early History of Blood Substitutes Transfusion of Milk (pdf). Transfusion, 9(2), Mar-Apr 1969
- Mad Max: Fury Road, Furiosa transfusion scene (YouTube link)
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, T-rex to raptor transfusion scene (YouTube link)
- Fact-Checking Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Carmen Russo, Slate June 2018
- Catherine Bovens and Tim Gruffydd-Jones, Xenotransfusion with canine blood in the feline species: review of the literature. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 15(2), Sep 2012
- Exotic animal blood transfusions: An overview by Stephen Cital for VetBloom
- Deepa was right - it was order, not genus. Which makes sense, given that cats and dogs are definitely not the same genus. Oops!
- Deepa: Fury Road gets a 9 out of 10 for guaranteed sepsis; Fallen Kingdom gets a 7 out of 10 for a T-rex to velociraptor xenotransfusion, and a 1 out of 10 for the lack of cut-down, blind stick blood draw
- Jen: Fury Road gets 4.5 out of 5 blood bags (half point deduction for unnecessarily stabbing Charlize Theron a second time); Fallen Kingdom gets 5 out of 5 baby Blues for cuteness, and 1 out of 5 floppy Chris Pratts escaping from lava for believability
- If you want more info on the history of blood transfusions, check out the Sawbones ep on transfusions.